Surveillance from the Rear Window

Alfred Hitchcock directed the film Rear Window and has a strict fascination with controlling audiences' focus from the male perspective. In the film, Jeffries (the main character) is watching his neighbors from his rear window of his apartment building. He is stuck in a wheelchair and cast from an accident while he was taking photos for his journalism. One could say that this is a response to his job and not being able to go out and watch others as usual, but it is quite concerning that he resorts to stalking his own neighbors to have some fun. While he is watching he comes to learn that his neighbor murders his wife and it becomes a big thing and eventually Thorwald is caught and all is well. But that isn't what this blog is about...

I find it very interesting that Jeffries is watching his neighbors, more so with a camera lens and binoculars! It's creepy. I do understand that in the time frame of which this film was released that people are more trusting of each other and this really isn't problematic. I mean, I remember sitting on the patio at my grandparents house and they would "neighbor watch" and we'd sit out all night watching the strange things people do. I suppose it is all about how you grew up! But in a way it really is a violation of privacy. I guess if you are doing something out in public, there is more likely of a chance that others would see it happening, which is why most people monitor their behaviors. In this film, Jeffries doesn't really watch his neighbors out and about on their porches and in the quad below his apartment-- No-- he watches them straight through their windows while they are in the privacy of their own homes. I also suppose it is their own fault for not simply putting the blinds down so no one could see into their home, but it still invades their personal privacy.

It relates for me in the ways that technology has been increasing in the modern world and how there are many conspiracies that the government is watching and listening to us through our devices. Maybe it's true! I know that I am not the only person that can have a conversation about something and magically an advertisement pops up on my phone about that exact thing later. It is quite odd. Especially with the new advances in technology with the Alexa's and Siri and even google home, we are allowing the possibility for "governmental tapping" to happen just as the characters in this film do. If only there was a way to shut the blinds on our devices! Of course as audience members to the film we think about how crazy and abnormal this behavior is, but as I really think about it, people do this all the time. As a dancer, I am constantly being watched; in my classes, rehearsals, by students walking by, and even on my social media sites. I have to keep my privacy but also allow what I post and say to be professional because who knows who could see those things!

All I am saying is that Hitchcock really got on to something with his ways of film making. It seems very normal for his films to have a main character show his personal point of view in his films, but that point of view may not be the only one. It makes me think about my own point of view when I am doing things throughout my day. Others can be watching me as I am watching someone else, and possibly the government could be listening to everything I say through my phone or reading this blog as I type it! ( Hey there government, how are ya?)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is up with men these days?

Do Not Go Gentle into That Good Night