RIP Willy Loman

Death of a Salesman is a remarkable work written by Arthur Miller. I really enjoy Millers plays, especially this one, however when I read the play I have to admit I was extremely lost in parts of the story because of Willy's memories/ hallucinations. The story is very straight forward with its manner about working for a living, and in this case, as a salesman. Willy seems to be very proud of the work he has done in his life, but his mental state has taken a turn for the worse and becomes a burden upon his family. As I read the play, the stage direction are very clear and laid out to the audience so that everything flows together, but I just can't say that it makes sense all the time. I wonder how some playhouses may interpret his stage direction in their versions. Between the hallucinations and the craziness of the set, it is understandable to I was lost in certain parts! There are many different conversations that happen at the same time throughout this work and these conversations are sometimes in the same scene setting or in a different place and time. I had to keep a close eye on who was talking and when they entered into the scene to keep things straight. Is this a memory? Is it a hallucination? Is it present time?

I also struggled with some of the scenes and the intention of the writing. I know that the stage direction will tell the reader if someone is yelling or crying, but there are many scenes such as the end of the play and when Biff finds out about Willy and the mistress, that I didn't fully agree with the tone. I read it differently and then had to go back again and reread that section in the direction that it was intended because the latter part of the scene didn't flow well for me. I think it is a very interesting story and I think there is a message behind it about pride, work ethics, and family. Willy, although troubled, worked very hard for his family and tried to do everything he could for them but it just wasn't written in the cards for him. I felt bad for Willy throughout the play because he is unwell and all of the things that he does are probably because of his illness, Miller just decided to only let the audience view Willy as sick and we have no idea what he was really like before that. The only prior memories we get from the story are the hallucinations, but I would argue that the reader/ audience doesn't know if that memory is of his personality in the past, his current personality, or one that he has made up of how it happened.

Overall I think that Death of a Salesman is a great work... a little brain teaser, but a worth while read.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is up with men these days?

Do Not Go Gentle into That Good Night